December 12th, 2017 - AUXVASSE, Mo. — While the upcoming right-to-work vote looms over Missouri, employees at the Auxvasse Dollar General store have agreed to unionize.
Late last week, a majority of Auxvasse store workers voted in favor of letting United Food and Commercial Workers Local 655 represent them in bargaining with the corporation.
According to union spokesperson Collin Reischman, based at the UFCW Local 655's St. Louis office, they're the first Dollar General workers in the nation to vote for union representation.
As of Nov. 3, Dollar General operated 14,321 stores in 44 states, according to the corporate website.
Reischman said while he didn't have an exact number of employees, they voted at a 2-1 margin in favor. Dollar General did not confirm or deny that figure.
"The next step is for us and the company to get together and start bargaining a contract," Reischman said.
Following the bargaining period, employees will decide whether to accept the contract.
"If they vote to approve that contract, they become full members of (Local) 655," Reischman said.
The process got started one or two months ago, when Dollar General employees reached out to the union, he said.
- Retail Food Negotiations Update, Northern CA - December 5, 2018
- Northern California Retail Food Negotiations Update – November 8, 2018
- UFCW 8 Reaches Tentative Agreement for Yosemite Wholesale and Save Mart Office contracts
- Northern CA Retail Negotiations Update - October 24, 2018
- Northern CA Retail Negotiations Update - October 12, 2018
- Tentative Agreements Reached in Northern California with Save Mart/Lucky and FoodMaxx
- FoodMaxx Negotiations Update – May 13, 2016
- Raley's/Bel Air and Food Maxx Update - October 29, 2015
- Food Maxx, Raley’s and Safeway Negotiations Update - Aug 24, 2015
- Safeway and Raley’s Negotiations Update, July 2, 2015